1.25.2009

Laurel Mill

In the north central part of the county, about 12 or so miles north east of Louisburg, is this beautiful mid-nineteenth century grist mill used for corn (and perhaps wheat) named Laurel Mill. Depending on whom you ask, where you're from or how much you know about Franklin County, the mill is located in either the area of Gupton, Oswego or Gold Sands. While all seem legitimate claims to me, the National Register of Historic Places puts Laurel Mill officially in the Gupton area. Not surprisingly, this picturesque spot, despite being deep in rural eastern North Carolina, has become a mecca for photographers both local and pilgrims. So common and iconic are images of Laurel Mill that folks are even selling stock photographs of it. Although there is a tourist element to blogging this, I felt it would be an even graver injustice not to include the mill at some stage, and today (with my wife driving and navigating) seemed like as good a time as any.

While my image of Laurel Mill is far from the most skilled or artistic, it will for me (particularly taken from this perspective standing literally in the fork of two state roads) always conjure a memory, a feeling - intense quiet stillness broken only by the rush of water (on days like today) down the dam and over the rocks almost hissing as it moves - cavorting past the structure now, no longer turning the wheel to power the mill to do a job that, no doubt, many decades ago created a vibrancy associated with commerce and socializing - funny that after all our growth and development now we only hear the water ... uninterrupted by people or their work.

This expansive open land is back down Laurel Mill Road toward NC Highway 561 and the return trip to Louisburg. By including it, I was hoping to give some sense of the remoteness of the mill these days.

5 comments:

  1. Really nice story and photo. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. Sometimes I think the "glamour shots" of well-loved places don't capture why we love them so much as more modest images. Your photos are beginning to convey a real sense of place to this person who has never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, May I use your photo of the Mill in a book that I am working on .
    brpkjh@yahoo.com
    Karen J. Hall

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousins, Will and Margaret Holmes, used to own this beautiful place. It is wonderful to see it still looking as stunning as ever! Thank you for taking such great care of her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember as young boy taking tours of the mill along with my grandfather who grew up in the white house on the hill across the road from the mill, with Mr Holmes. Back in the day my great grandfather worked in the mill, as well as farmed and was the pastor of the church just up the road from the mill. This area holds some dear memories for me. I am glad you came across it, and enjoyed the view. At one point in it's history, it was not alone, across the river were also a Cotton and Saw Mill, those were long gone before I began visiting my grandfathers birthplace.

    ReplyDelete