1.05.2009

Downtown Youngsville Mural


Having to start somewhere, I chose a location very close to home. This is a mural recently painted on the side of the building that houses one of Youngsville's iconic establishments (Griffin's restaurant). While I think Youngsville offers multiple convenient and intriguing images to share, I have been warned not to be residence-centric in my efforts to characterize Franklin County. So, I pledge not to smother any followers of this blog with photographs from the county's southwestern corner only.
I really enjoy this mural everyday on my way to and from work and home, but (in some ways, on some days) it symbolizes gentrification, a folklor-ish image calling out the town's quaintness, readying the streets for new residents for whom the genuine quaintness just wasn't enough. Perhaps I offer too cynical a view.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see your blog up and running.

    This is an interesting first photo. I agree that such murals can be read in different ways. It's very difficult for places - especially places that preserved their individuality through most of the 20th century - to walk the line between too little and too much growth. But one such mural, on its own, speaks mostly of local pride to me. It also indicates that Youngsville does not want to become "everyplace."

    I look forward to getting to know Franklin County!

    ReplyDelete