1.02.2009

An Introduction

This is my first attempt at a blog but I have decided to take on the surely complicated task of using simple images to capture the special character of Franklin County, North Carolina.

I am acting from many inspirations to develop this photo blog. For some time I have been nagged by an anxious urgency to capture some of the beauty of my adopted home of Franklin County before development and growth transform this area into another homogeneous suburbia. My energy and motivation for this effort are derived directly from my love for my 'place on earth', eastern North Carolina, fueled by the philosophy and writings of Wendell Berry. Finally, I am imitating the unifying approach so well executed by Hansen's Lexington, VA (Daily Photo) that I look forward to reading every day for its continued inspiration and reflections of the town of my alma mater (Washington & Lee University).

1 comment:

  1. Hi James,
    Thanks for your nice blog and the beautiful pictures. I grew up in Franklin County (in Louisburg) but I've been living out West (in Idaho) for the last 30 years. Being away so long I get homesick from time to time and search the web for pictures such as yours.

    You're right, though, Franklin County has hardly changed at all in last 200 years but Raleigh is gradually nibbling away at it and I fear the rate of change will increase if they change Highway 401 from 2-lane to 4-lane, as I've heard they plan to. Oh well, I guess progress is inevitable, but I do wish from time to time, that we could put all of Franklin County into a time capsule and save it just the way it is now (or perhaps as it was 25 years ago). As Ogden Nash said, "Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long".

    Thanks again for your blog and please keep doing it!

    Best regards,
    Tom Wheless (towheless@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete